Today was quite a heavy news day. But some of the important but less noticed stories still need to be pointed out. Symbolic importance typically precedes kinetic importance.
1. The koran was recited today inside the Hagia Sophia. The single most important cathedral in Christendom after The Vatican itself. The Hagia Sophia was the crown jewel of Constantinople till the city was conquered and raped by the Muslims and Hagia Sophia, turned into a mosque.
In the 20th century under Ataturk, it was made a museum. But Erdogan's rush to return to more theocratic rule is moving the cathedral back to a mosque at rapid pace.
2. Meanwhile today in Bucharest, Romanians came out in the hundreds to protest a Turkish funded mega-mosque in the heart of the territory most famous for its hero who fought the last incarnation of the Turkish based Islamic caliphate.
A rough translation of the man speaking in the middle:
''The message is very clear we meet gathered today on Saint day, on a Sunday, when the Romanian people want to convey to the President of Romania, Klaus Iohannis, that our faith is not for sale, our traditional values are not for sale, our values and our faith in God helped us to keep our nation united in these lands (in these parts) for thousands of years.
Romanians do not want under any circumstances nor the construction of a mega mosque in Bucharest, did not want any acceptance quota of foreign migrants in Romania.''
Fears that ISIS is planning a primitive biological attack has intensified after rotting animal testicles were found in a terror suspects backpack.
Abderamane Ameroud, 38, was shot in the leg by police and then arrested as he lay beside a tramline in Brussels on March 25.
The dramatic incident took place in the district of Schaerbeek, where last month’s suicide bombings in the Belgian capital were prepared.
Or maybe he was just packing lunch. On the other hand...
The former head of Britain’s Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), Trevor Phillips, has admitted he “got almost everything wrong” on Muslim immigration in a damning new report on integration, segregation, and how the followers of Islam are creating “nations within nations” in the West.
Phillips, a former elected member of the Labour Party who served as the Chairman of the EHRC from 2003-2012 will present “What British Muslims Really Think” on Channel 4 on Wednesday. An ICM poll released to the Times ahead of the broadcast reveals:
* One in five Muslims in Britain never enter a non-Muslim house;
* 39 per cent of Muslims, male and female, say a woman should always obey her husband
* 31 per cent of British Muslims support the right of a man to have more than one wife;
* 52 per cent of Muslims did not believe that homosexuality should be legal;
* 23 per cent of Muslims support the introduction of Sharia law rather than the laws laid down by parliament.