(2015 FLASHBACK:) May the Fourth Be With You: Canadian politicians and their Star Wars lookalikes
As Star Wars fans around the world celebrate "May the Fourth," let's match up some Canadian politicians with their doppelgangers in "a galaxy far, far away."
RELATED: In-depth analysis of Star Wars: The Force Awakens second trailer and Celebration (spoiler warning)
1. Imperial Guard = Chrystia Freeland (Liberal MP - Toronto Centre, ON)
That red dress, Ms. Freeland’s goto event dress is getting a little tired… we see a perfect match with the Imperial Guard’s red uniform. She can stand by her man, the Shiny Pony, as she guards him from any opposing force in the Universe.
2. Princess Leia = Rona Ambrose (Conservative MP - Edmonton-Spruce Grove, AB)
On the other end of the spectrum we see Rona Ambrose as the perfect stand-in for Princess Leia.
3. C3PO = Joe Oliver (Finance Minister, Conservative MP - Eglinton-Lawrence, ON)
The lanky Finance Minister and C3PO are a golden pair of good guys.
Flickr/The Canadian Club of Toronto
4. Chewbacca = Thomas Mulcair (Leader of the NDP)
The well groomed Chewbacca may take this as an insult, but the hairy twins have more in common than only their looks. Often loosing their cool and talking in a way no one understands we see these two as joined at the hip.
5. Jabba the Hutt = Rob Ford (former Mayor of Toronto)
This may come across as a cheap shot, but things are not always as they first appear… The Rebel considers Rob Ford a friend and Jabba the Hutt a powerful leader. We hope nothing but the best for the former Mayor of Toronto.
6. Storm Trooper = Kathleen Wynne (Premier of Ontario)
The residents of Ontario may already fear that Premier, Kathleen Wynne, has begun her invasion into their lives… her recent meddling in the energy sector has caused a major disruption in the Force.
7. Han Solo = Prime Minister Stephen Harper
Sure, Harper has a few years on the original Han Solo, but from the Prime Minister’s cameo appearance on Murdoch Mysteries, we think he has the acting prowess to rival Harrison Ford.
8. Emperor = Jean Chretien (former Liberal Prime Minister)
Scary, how similar these two men look and have behaved in office.
9. Wicket the Ewok = Alice Wong (Conservative MP - Richmond, BC)
Let’s get things straight… Ms. Wong is a beautiful, sophisticated looking woman… she’s also little, cute, and cuddly just like the adorable friendly Ewok, Wicket.
10. Officer Motti = John Baird (former Conservative MP - Ottawa West-Nepean)
What’s that John Baird as a member of the Empire??? Can’t be, can it… until The Rebel gets a one on one interview with the respected, former Minister of Foreign Affairs we see a striking resemblance between these two.
11. Luke Skywalker = Brad Wall (Premier of Saskatchewan)
The two bright-eyed good-guys may hold a powerful influence in Canada’s future and balance in the Force.
12. Darth Vader (Anakin Skywalker) = Justin Trudeau (Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada)
Was there ever any doubt who would match up with Darth Vader? The young Vader is a perfect look-alike for the inexperienced Liberal leader. Let’s hope Canada doesn’t enter an era of control by the Dark Side.
Bonus: Death Star = CBC
Both are overreaching government bodies that at one point thought they were indestructible. We’re sure that the Billion dollar yearly hand out in tax dollars will keep the CBC afloat to deal with their steady stream of internal scandals.
It’s your one-stop shop for rebellious commentary from independent and fearless readers and writers.