The UN conference in Marrakesh had barely wrapped when Lloyd Axworthy, former Liberal cabinet minister and current chair of the World Refugee Council, delivered an impassioned plea in the Globe & Mail for Canada to allow those in the Central American migrant caravan to immigrate into our Great Dominion.
This Liberal dinosaur dates back to the days of the first Prime Minister Trudeau, and states in his column:
“Those volunteering in the Tijuana refugee camps reported that there is a significant number of single women with children in the caravan and the overt discrimination against them is a source of personal trauma for those denied any alternative.”
I’d like to hear Axworthy’s definition of “significant number.” We covered the caravan early last month in southern Mexico when it numbered about 5,000 migrants, and about 10 per cent were women and children while the other 90 per cent were young, able-bodied males.
The critical point though is that Axworthy notes Canada’s “obligations” to the migrants of the world now that we’ve signed on to the UN Compact on Migration.
Remember being told ad nauseum that the compact is “non-binding”?
These compact-friendly leaders are already champing at the bit to resettle the world’s 258 million migrants and are only too happy to use this “non-binding” agreement as the “foundation” for domestic immigration policy.
P.S. To watch all our reports from the Marrakesh conference and to chip in to help cover the cost of our journalism, please visit RebelUN.com.