1. ISIS plotted to blow up Times Square
THREE men have been arrested after plotting to detonate explosives in Times Square, New York, authorities have revealed.
The men allegedly plotted to place explosives in both Times Square and the New York City subway before their attack was thwarted by police.
The tourist hub of Times Square attracts 33,000 people every day.
US prosecutors have revealed the alleged attacks were being planned on behalf of ISIS in summer 2016.
NY Post has additional details.
2. Violent Jihadists in Germany up 64 Per Cent to over 1,800
The German Federal Agency for the Protection of the Constitution, the country’s domestic intelligence service, claims there are now more than 1,800 violent jihadists in the country and the number continues to grow.
President of the domestic spy agency Hans-Georg Maassen announced the figures at a press conference on Thursday at the Bundestag in Berlin. He also warned of a growing trend in German primary schools which are seeing a rise in the popularity of radical Islamic ideas amongst students, Kronen Zeitung reports.
The number of violent jihadis is a dramatic increase compared to August of last year when the intelligence agency said they suspected there were 1,100 jihadists in the country, reflecting a 64 per cent increase.
3. Bangladesh: Hefazat-e-Islam rally amid calls to arm the Rohingya after Myanmar's persecution
4. Some Catholic clergy preach in defiance of current Vatican leadership
5. Italians stage “Kiss In” protest after “sharia patrol” crackdown