1. "Decapitation" of Macron: Three journalists from La Charente Libre questioned by police
The departmental daily, Charente Libre, covered a demonstration of yellow vests during which a puppet with the effigy of Emmanuel Macron had been decapitated. The journalists were interviewed by police not as witnesses, but as suspects in a “provocation not followed by events or a crime or an offence.”
2. German journalist comes under fire for conducting non-critical interview with migration-critic
Katrin Huß, who has been a moderator at German public broadcaster WDR since 1995, conducted an interview in January 2016 with the psychoanalyst Hans-Joachim Maaz, who critically commented on the uncontrolled influx of "refugees". The video below begins with a short excerpt of that interview, and is followed by her appearance on NouViso Talk where she describes being censured for not “intervening politically with the MDR agenda” and challenging her guest. Watch as she describes the series of interactions that caused her to lose faith in her profession and why she felt as if she had returned to the DDR (East Germany).
Related: The Party Song of the Socialist Unity Party of Germany, the ruling party of East Germany, with subtitles in German and English.
3. LinkedIn co-founder “sorry” for funding fake Russian tweets for Democrats
The co-founder of LinkedIn, Reid Hoffman, has apologized to Republican Roy Moore for funding an organisation that faked a ‘Russian bot’ involvement to mar his election campaign in Alabama.
4. Saudi women step on face veils in social media protest
Saudi women are stepping on the face veils some are made to wear in the conservative kingdom and posting it on social media with the hashtag “the niqab under my foot.”
The campaign marks the latest protest against strict dress codes for women in Saudi Arabia, who are required to wear abayas – loose, all-covering robes – in public and in most of the country to cover their hair and faces.
Women took to Twitter with stories of being forced to wear the face veil, using the hashtag. Some posted photos of them stepping on the garment in protest.
Saudi Arabia has no written legal code to go with the texts making up sharia – the Islamic law that effectively governs the kingdom – but police and judiciary have long enforced a strict dress code.
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said in March that women only needed to dress modestly and were not required to wear abayas. But Saudi women say that in practice nothing has changed, and demanded more freedom.
5. Ebola BREAKOUT: 24 patients flee treatment centre sparking emergency search
The patients, some of whom had not yet been tested, broke out of the treatment centre in the Congolese city of Beni.
Officials have tracked three of them, but the rest remain at large, sparking a fear of the deadly disease spreading.
The attack was orchestrated by demonstrators angry at being excluded from voting in the weekend's election.
Beni and its surrounding area has had voting cancelled by the government due to the ebola outbreak and militia violence.
The Democratic Republic of Congo's health ministry spokeswoman Jessica Ilunga said 17 patients had already tested negative for Ebola, while seven had not yet been tested.
6. Insurgents suspected in fourth day of south Thailand attacks
Violence presumed to have been carried out by Muslim separatists has hit southern Thailand for the fourth day in a row, with three paramilitary soldiers wounded and a female civilian shot dead Saturday.
The soldiers in Narathiwat province were hurt in an ambush of their pickup truck, while the woman was killed in Pattani province.
On Friday night, four people in Narathiwat were wounded by one of several bombs suspected of being planted by the Muslim insurgents, security officials said, and there was a shootout between security forces and suspected insurgents who attacked a defense outpost at a small rural village.
The bombs mostly targeted utility poles and caused a blackout in one village.
Nearby Songkhla province on Wednesday and Thursday nights experienced similar small bombing attempts, including two that damaged well-known statues at a popular beach but caused no casualties.
7. Brazil's president-elect plans decree allowing wider gun ownership
SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Brazil’s far-right President-elect Jair Bolsonaro said on Saturday he plans to issue a decree allowing all Brazilians without criminal records to own firearms, welcome news to many core supporters who want him to loosen Brazil’s strict gun laws.
Throughout his campaign, Bolsonaro had pledged to dismantle Brazil’s current gun legislation, which presents various bureaucratic and legal obstacles for people seeking to purchase firearms. That message appealed to many Brazilians who want to use guns for self-defense amid sky-high levels of violent crime.
“By decree, we plan to guarantee the ownership of firearms by citizens without criminal records,” Bolsonaro, who takes office on Jan. 1, wrote on Twitter on Saturday.
8. Five arrested on terrorism charges in Rotterdam
The police arrested five terrorism suspects on Saturday. In the morning, four were arrested in Rotterdam. A fifth during the day. The Dutch police do not want to say where. According to German media it would be a 26-year-old Syrian who was arrested in the German city of Mainz.
They are suspected of involvement in the preparation of a terrorist crime. Immediately after the arrests in the morning, the locations where the detentions were made were searched. Four arrested men are between 20 and 30 years old and come from non-Western countries.
The investigation will continue in the coming days, the police reported. "The emphasis is on further research into the nature and scale of the terrorist threat." "The police can not say anything else.”
In June two men were arrested in Rotterdam on suspicion of preparing terrorism and membership of a terrorist organization. They would have wanted to attack the security services in the Netherlands.
9. Yellow Vest Protests in France continue
Fire in the door of the Bank of France and clashes with the police in Rouen
10. Egypt tourist bus explosion: Four dead and 11 injured after blast near pyramids
Three Vietnamese tourists and an Egyptian guide were killed and 11 others injured when a bomb blast hit their bus on Friday less than 2.5 miles from Egypt's world famous Giza pyramids, authorities said.
The explosion took place on the Marioutiya Road in the pyramid district, one of the most famous streets in greater Cairo.
The blast is the first deadly attack against foreign tourists in Egypt for more than a year and comes as the tourism sector, a vital source of foreign currency revenue, was recovering from a sharp drop in visitor numbers since the country's 2011 uprising.
No immediate claim of responsibility was reported. Islamist extremists including some linked to Islamic State are active in Egypt and have targeted foreign visitors in the past.