1. Quebec government tables secularism law
The Coalition Avenir Québec government is proposing a new law that would prohibit public workers in positions of authority from wearing religious symbols such as a hijab, kippa or turban.
2. Fort McMurray’s Muslim community plans an ambitious, multicultural mosque
It's a $50-million, 10-acre complex – a brand new home for Fort McMurray's Muslim community, breaking ground this spring. As Colin Freeze reports, it's also an experiment in multicultural Islam on an unprecedented scale.
3. Rescued Libyan Migrants hijack tanker, sail to Malta
A tanker ship rescued more than a hundred migrants from their vessel off the coast of Libya, but before the ship could dock in Tripoli, the migrants apparently hijacked the ship. The ship later docked in Malta and the migrants were arrested by local police.
Related: Maltese authorities arrest migrants after boat hijack
Maltese armed forces arrest a number of migrants after taking control of a tanker that had been hijacked by migrants off Libya, who reportedly forced the captain to take change course and head towards Europe.
4. Migrant crisis: Border Force stop two boats at Dover -day after 14 people found in Channel
Two boats carrying up to 19 migrants have been found off the coast of Kent a day after 14 people including two children were brought ashore.
A Border Force team spotted the vessels sailing towards Britain this morning and alerted Kent Police at around 4.15am. Police confirmed they were made aware of the discovery near the Port of Dover and added officers were not needed at the scene. The BBC reported the pair of boats in the English Channel were carrying 19 people. The Home Office has been contacted for comment.
The discovery comes after 11 men, one woman and two children were found trying to enter the UK illegally on Wednesday.
5. Trump says FBI, DOJ will review “outrageous” Jussie Smollett case
"It is an embarrassment to our Nation!" Trump said of prosecutors dropping charges against Smollett.
President Donald Trump tweeted Thursday morning that the FBI and Department of Justice would review the decision by Illinois prosecutors to drop all charges facing actor Jussie Smollett for allegedly fabricating a hate crime.
FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 28, 2019
6. Trump signs executive order to protect Americans from EMP attacks
President Donald Trump issued an executive order on March 26 to harden America’s critical infrastructure against electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attacks.
Experts from the congressional EMP Commission have long called for such action, warning that an EMP could break America’s electrical grid and result in the eventual deaths of 90 percent of the U.S. population. Such an EMP could occur either from a natural solar storm, or, if an adversary detonated a nuclear bomb high above the United States.
Trump’s executive order takes a number of aggressive steps to safeguard the United States. In contrast to previous highly limited actions taken by the Department of Homeland Security, such as their paper last October with vague calls for further research, Trump’s executive order calls for specific action to be taken on set deadlines.
7. Germany: Muslim kindergarten loses appeal against closure
State officials had ordered “Al Nur” to close following revelations that inappropriate literature had been shared at the kindergarten. The day care center is the only Muslim kindergarten in Rhineland-Palatinate.
The only Muslim kindergarten in the western state of Rhineland-Palatinate lost its appeal to stay open after an administrative court confirmed state officials' concerns about the school's ties to an Islamist ideology.
The state's decision to revoke Al Nur kindergarten's license was lawful because evidence showed links between the school's administrators and the extremist Salafist ideology, an administrative court in the city of Mainz said.
The court said the links made it difficult for children at Al Nur to integrate into German society and compromised their independence.
The court said efforts by Arab Nil-Rhein, the association that runs the kindergarten, to distance itself from Salafist thought were “not convincing.”
8. “It would be better if they had died in battle”: Danish justice minister on returning Syria fighters
Denmark has convicted 13 people for travelling to Syria to take part in armed conflict. Nine have been sentenced to deportation from the country, according to Minister of Justice Søren Pape Poulsen. [...]
The minister stressed that Denmark is unable to deny re-entry into the country to its own citizens, even if they have participated as militants in conflicts on foreign soil.
“The fact is that we cannot prevent Danish citizens from coming to Denmark, and that includes foreign fighters. The threat from returning foreign fighters is serious – that is obvious,” he said.
“It would have been better if they had died in battle, but unfortunately, not all of them did,” the minister added.
Police security agency PET has estimated that 150 people have, since 2012, travelled from Denmark to Iraq or Syria to take part in wars there.
9. Driver sentenced to life for ramming 17 people in Australia
An Islamic State group sympathizer who rammed a car into pedestrians on a busy Australian city sidewalk, killing one person and injuring 16 others, was sentenced on Thursday to life in prison.
Victoria state Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Hollingworth ordered Saeed Noori, 37, to serve 30 years behind bars before he is eligible for parole.
Hollingworth said it was “sheer good fortune” that more people were not killed or injured.
“Deliberately driving a vehicle into a crowd of people is a dreadful crime,” the judge said. “Your actions have horrified and traumatized many people.”
Noori drove his mother's SUV into pedestrians on Dec. 21, 2017, outside a train station in downtown Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city.
10. Italy: Legitimate-defence law approved
(ANSA) - Rome, March 28 - The Senate on Thursday gave final approval to the government's law expanding the right to legitimate self defence. It was approved by the Upper House on its third reading with 201 votes in favour, 38 against and six abstentions.
The lawmakers from the parties supporting Premier Giuseppe Conte's government, the League and the 5-Star Movement (M5S), applauded as the legislation got the definitive green light. The bill expanding the right to self-defence from intruders, fashioned by Interior Minister and League leader Matteo Salvini, introduces norms similar to US "stand your ground" laws.
“This is a great day for Italians,” said Salvini, who recently courted controversy by visiting in jail a businessman who made a would-be thief kneel and shot and injured him in the chest.
“After years of chatter and polemics we have enshrined the sacrosanct right of legitimate self defence for those who are attacked in their homes, in their bars, and in their restaurants,” he said.
“The Wild West is not being legitimised, but we are on the side of decent and respectable citizens.”
Salvini has long campaigned for a law allowing self-defence in all cases and has repeatedly sided with business people and other citizens who have been prosecuted for excessive self defence under the previous law.