November 15, 2017

Transgender Military Member Gets Taxpayer-Funded Gender Reassignment Surgery

Rebel Staff

Yesterday, we reported that a prison inmate has filed a lawsuit in Indiana demanding that taxpayers fund his gender reassignment surgery. Now, reports have come in that a transgender service member successfully received gender reassignment surgery funded by taxpayers.

Defense Department spokeswoman Dana White said the surgery was done Tuesday in a private hospital and was paid for by the military's health coverage because the doctor deemed it was medically necessary.

"Military hospitals do not have the surgical expertise to perform this type of surgery, therefore it was conducted in a private hospital," White said, adding that because this service member "had already begun a sex-reassignment course of treatment, and the treating doctor deemed this surgery medically necessary, a waiver was approved by the director of the Defense Health Agency."

Army Maj. Dave Eastburn said that waivers are required and routinely approved for medical procedures that military facilities don't have the expertise to perform.

This story and the one The Rebel reported on Tuesday reveal a disturbing pattern:

Gender reassignment surgery is becoming an inalienable right that taxpayers must finance.

Does this mean that if someone wants gender reassignment surgery and doesn't feel like paying for it, they can simply join the military? 


You must be logged in to comment. Click here to log in.
commented 2017-11-16 09:37:00 -0500
“Gender reassignment”. PC talk for sex change. All together now, say “sex change”.
commented 2017-11-16 00:38:00 -0500
Why the hell should anyone else pay for this? And if you join the military to get the free surgery , you should have to sign a contract about a number of years of service or the cost will be billed to you after you quit.
commented 2017-11-15 23:04:35 -0500
I agree.
commented 2017-11-15 18:22:25 -0500
I thought Trump banned trans people from serving in the military.
commented 2017-11-15 17:41:20 -0500
commented 2017-11-15 15:23:45 -0500
I agree wholeheartedly Tamara.

If you want to mutilate yourself, first see a psychiatrist and then pay for the surgery with your won money. We taxpayers want nothing to do with your sickness.
commented 2017-11-15 15:17:01 -0500
Funding this surgery & hormone therapy is indeed a burden on the taxpayer, those who would like to mutilate themselves & change their hormonal makeup, should also pay their own way to do so.

I do believe psychiatric treatment should be funded. There is a high percentage of people who also have additional psychiatric problems in addition to gender dysphoria.