The UK’s newly minted Defence Secretary recently told the Daily Mail that Britons who have fought for terror organizations should never be permitted to re-enter the country.
Gavin Williamson, who assumed his post at the Ministry of Defence (MOD) following the resignation of Michael Fallon in November, also said those who were intent on bringing “destruction, death and bloodshed” to British soil should be “hunted down” and “eliminated.”
This, however, has appalled the Labour Party’s shadow attorney general.
In an interview on Sky News’ Sunday with Niall Paterson, Baroness Shami Chakrabarti said she was “very disappointed” by Williamson’s comments, describing the “targeted assassinations” of “criminals” as “appalling.”
Williamson has defied his critics to double down on his comments from last week, insisting:
“A dead terrorist can’t cause any harm to Britain.”
Reflecting the growing threat from Islamist terrorism, the number of people arrested over terrorism-related offences in Britain has surged by 54 percent to 400 arrests in the year to September, according to the quarterly Home Office bulletin on police use of counter-terrorism powers.