Parents in the Peel region are threatening to pull their children out of school between May 4 to 11 to protest Ontario's controversial new sex-ed curriculum.
Having said repeatedly that there would be no changes to the curriculum despite concerns about its content and origins, Premier Kathleen Wynne sounded a slightly more conciliatory note Tuesday.
"I think that if she would like to do an event in Peel where we, you know, we bring together the community and the school board is there with us and we have clarification, I think that's a great idea and that's certainly something that the minister will offer to her."
A spokesperson for the premier later clarified that Wynne had not made any specific offer about involvement in such a meeting.
Speaking to CBC Radio's Metro Morning on Tuesday, Peel District School Board chair Janet McDougald said that many parents "think the information is sensitive, it's graphic and they are worried about the age appropriateness of the material."
She added that these parents feel "disenfranchised" and described a large proportion of them as "Muslim."
CBC.ca, paraphrasing McDougald, noted:
Parents in Ontario, however, already have the right to opt out of any parts of the curriculum they are uncomfortable with and Peel frequently accommodates those requests.
When asked if her government had done enough to disseminate information about the curriculum, Wynne recited a list of ways she and the ministry had been doing that, including talking to the media and posting the information online.
It seems not to have occurred to the government that many parents object to the new curriculum, not because they are ignorant of its contents, but because they are all too familiar with it.
JOIN TheRebel.media for more fearless news and commentary you won’t find anywhere else.
It’s your one-stop shop for rebellious commentary from independent and fearless readers and writers.